IV. Working With Tables
1. How will you create Table?
The following steps are used to create a simple table:
- Select Table ->Insert ->Table from the menu bar or
- Click on Table icon on standard tool bar or
- Click on Insert Table icon on Insert floating bar
The Insert Table dialog box appears
In Insert Table dialog box
- Name textbox used to give the name of the table.
- In the Columns and Rows text box ,Using the spin arrows or enter the number of columns and rows.
- StarOffice Writer displays the table as a grid.
- By default each cell includes a border.
- The border can be deleted or changed
In Insert floating bar ,
- Click on Insert table icon
- Click on the arrow displays a grid
- Move the mouse over the grid to specify number of rows and columns
2. How will you enter data in a table?
Once the table is created insertion point is in the first cell of the table.
- To type something in a particular cell first the insertion point is moved to the required cell and type in it.
- To move to the desired cell first a click is made inside the cell or
- The arrow keys can be used.
- To move forward through the cells press Tab key
- To move backward through the cells press Shift+Tab
Any amount of text can be typed within the cell.
- When the text or data reaches the cell border ,
- StarOffice Writer will wrap the text to the next line and expand the cell making it taller and not wider
- The contents of the cell can also be formatted and edited
3. How will you add a Row/ Column to a table?
The simplest way to add a row is to press Tab Key in the last row of the table.
StarOffice Writer adds a new row.
Other methods are,
1. To insert a row, select the insert row icon and press once. Now a new row is inserted below the present row.
2. To insert a column, select the insert column icon and press once. Now a new column is inserted to the right of the present column.
3. To insert more than one row or column in the table,
Select Table ->Insert -> Rows or Table -> Insert ->Columns .
On the corresponding dialog box,
Enter the number of rows and columns.
Click on OK button
4.What are the various functions of the icon in the table formatting tool bar?
The function of each icon in the toolbar is indicated below:
Table fixed, Proportional
It is used to combine two or more cells into a single cell.
It is used to split a cell into two or more cells
It shows a pop up menu with options like Space columns equally, Space rows equally, Optimum row height and Optimum column width
It is used to insert a row below the current row.
It is used to insert a column to the right of the current column.
It deletes the current row from the table
It deletes the current Column from table.
It displays different border option for the table.
It is used to choose the style for the border.
It is used to give border colour for the table.
5.How to change the rows/column width
- To resize a column, place the cursor in a table cell, hold down Alt, and then press the left or the right arrow.
- To resize the column without changing the width of the table, hold down Alt+Ctrl, and then press the left or the right arrows.
- To resize a row, place the cursor in the row, hold down Alt, and then press the up or the down arrows.
Select Table → Table Properties
Table Format dialog box appears
Choose the Columns tab and type column size in the Column Width spin boxes and
Click OK button
1. What is a Table?
A table is a grid with the specified number of rows and columns
2. What is a Cell?
A cell is the intersection of a row and a column.
3. What is a grid?
A grid is a combination of a row and a column.
4. What is a row? What is a Column?
A row is a horizontal line of a table.
A column is a vertical line of a table.
5. What is the use of giving a name to a table?
The name is given to a table to refer it in future,
6. How a border is included in a table?
By default each cell includes a border, to specify the grid,
7. Which is the first icon in floating toolbar in insertion function dialog box?
Insert Table is the first icon in floating toolbar in the Insertion function dialog box.
8. Where is the Insertion point, when a table is created?
Once the table is created StarOffice Writer places the insertion point in the first cell of the table.
9. How can you move inside a table?
To move to the desired cell first a click is made inside the cell or
To move forward through the cells press Tab key
To move backward through the cells press Shift+Tab
10. How does a cell become taller?
When the text or data reaches the cell border.
StarOffice Writer will wrap the text to the next line and expand the cell making it taller and not wider.
11. Mention the simplest way to add a row.
The simplest way to add a row is to press Tab in the last cell of the last row.
StarOffice Writer adds a new row.
12. How will you delete rows and columns?
To delete a row:
Select a row
Click on Table -> Delete -> Rows
To delete a column:
Select a column
Click on Table -> Delete ->Columns
13.How to delete entries in a table?
Select the Table
Press Delete Key
Now, the entries are deleted and not the table.
14. How will you delete a Table?
To delete the table the following steps are used:
1. The entire table is selected using Edit -> Select All
2.Click on Table -> Delete -> Table
15. How can you get Table Formatting toolbar?
Once a click is made inside a table,
A floating toolbar for tables appears at the top of to screen.
The toolbar contains a number of icons, which can be used for various functions related to the table
16. What are the uses of optimizing icon?
Optimizing a table displays a pop-up menu with options like
- Space columns equally,
- Space rows equally,
- Optimum row height and
- Optimum column width
17.How to make the selected rows and columns of the same size?
Select the rows and columns
- To make all columns even, right click inside the table and select Column -> Space equally in the pop-up menu.
- To make all rows even, right click inside the table and select Row -> Space equally in the pop-up menu